Poverty has many dimensions. On the surface, needy families lack access to basic resources like clean water, a safe place to live, a reliable source of food, and medical care. On a deeper level, limited opportunities for education or training make it difficult for families in poverty to change their situation without outside intervention. Underlying all these circumstances is the powerful hope of Jesus that brings true transformation.
Teaching Time: 15 minutes
Materials: large bag labeled poverty, the following items spread out on the floor or on a table: food item, water bottle, medicine bottle, sock, picture of house/toy house/house from Monopoly game, bar of soap, notebook, Bible
Poverty is much more than a lack of money. Children in poor families do not have things they need to grow healthy and strong, to learn, and to be safe. Worst of all, many children in poverty have never heard about Jesus. Let’s find out some things that poor children lack. As you discuss, have your children locate the matching item and put it in the bag. Children living in poverty don’t have …
- enough nutritious food [food item]
- enough clothing [sock]
- clean water [water bottle]
- ways to stay clean and prevent the spread of germs [bar of soap]
- medicine, doctors, and hospitals [medicine bottle]
- a house to shelter them [house]
- a chance to go to school to learn [notebook]
- an opportunity to hear about Jesus [Bible].
Global workers demonstrate the love of Jesus by helping poor families with things they need. As needy people experience love and care, they are often willing to listen to the good news of Jesus. Global workers who share the Gospel provide what poor families need most of all – hope that with Jesus, life can be different.
- Can you think of Bible stories where God used His followers to meet the needs of other people? (see 2 Kings 4:1-7; Mark 2:3-11, Acts 3:1-10)
- How might our family demonstrate the love and hope of Jesus to needy families? Why is it important for families in poverty to have hope?
Let each child select 1-2 items from the poverty bag to hold. Pray that God will provide for the needs of families in poverty. Ask God to show your family how you might serve the poor in your area or in other places around the world.