Whether you enjoy crafts, hobbies, sports or music, your family can leverage your free time by broadening the perspective of your children and blessing others. Here are some examples to get you started. If you have stories of things your family has done, comment below.
- Craft and hobby: Ten-year-old Rachel and her mom love knitting. They knit colorful squares and send them to Knit-a-Square. This organization sends donated squares to South Africa where they are sewn together to create blankets for AIDS orphans. For more ideas, see the Service Projects area of the Weave website.
- Sports: Nine-year-old Jacob devoted his soccer team’s season to helping fight malaria, a disease that kills millions of children. Jacob created a Nets For Nets challenge. Every time his team scored a goal, friends and family pledged $1 towards mosquito nets. Jacob’ s team donated more than $1,000 to His Nets, a Christian organization that provides nets for needy families.
- Music: The Gregorio family loves playing music together. Several times a year, they take their violins, flute, and clarinet to a local nursing home. They present a short, musical program of songs they have practiced at home. Afterwards, they visit with some of the residents.
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:31. How often do we eat and drink? What does this verse tell us about when we can give glory to God?
- What is one thing that our family loves doing in our free time? How could we use this activity to bless others?
Ask God for wisdom as to how to make your family’s free time a blessing to others.