Riveted to the news reports coming out of Afghanistan, I feel both shock and dismay at the situation unfolding there, and compassion for the families who are experiencing a new wave of fear and despair. At the same time, we know God was not caught off guard by recent events, nor has He given up on the Afghan people.
As believers, God desires that we walk in hope, a hope that is grounded in His truth. Because we already know the end of God’s story, we can look forward to a future day when He will restore hearts (Ezekiel 36:26) and cause the nations to walk in peace (Zechariah 9:10). For now, God is drawing the nations to Himself in worship. This includes Afghans. God can work through their current situation to turn the hearts of Afghan families to Him.
As families who know Jesus, we can bless the Afghan people through our prayers. Why not gather together with your children and intercede on their behalf? Below are some timely requests. Each includes a tangible object to help your children focus.
- world map: First locate Afghanistan. Then pray that surrounding countries will open their doors to Afghan families who are fleeing the chaos and violence in their homeland.
- water bottle/cup, snack, pillow/blanket: Pray for food, water, and safe places to rest for Afghan families who journey in search of a better place to live.
- medicine bottle/first aid kit: Many Afghans suffer from COVID-19. Pray that healthcare systems providing treatment will not shut down.
- backpack/notebook: Pray that the new government will allow girls to go to school.
- Bible: Afghan families who follow Jesus anticipate that the level of persecution will increase under Taliban rule. Pray that God will give believers strength and wisdom as they trust Him during this uncertain time.
- heart shape: Most Afghans are Muslims. Pray that as families face an uncertain future, they will seek God with their whole heart and find Jesus.
It’s natural to want to shield our children from the evil in the world, but may we boldly provide these opportunities to grow their heart for these people and ask Him to move mightily in their ever-changing world. They are His ambassadors in training!
I am SO thankful for that all that God has given to me like our wonderful seasons in Raleigh, freedom of religion, my wonderful husband, the ability to work and do what I love so much. God has blessed me so much and I am so appreciative!! I pray for the Afghan families who are scared and will be persecuted. This breaks my heart!!