Note to Parents: In the last journal, you read a story about Nang Kham and her family (if you missed the story, find it here).They are Shan, an unreached people group in living in Myanmar and other parts of Southeast Asia. What do Shan families do to protect their skin from getting sunburned on hot sunny days? To find out, do the following cultural activity with your family.
Shan families often smear their faces with a yellowish paste that works like sunblock. It is made from ground-up tree bark mixed with water. Sometimes they create designs on their cheeks. Decorate your faces just like Nang Kahm and her brother. Here is how to make your own face paints. You will need:
-30 mil (2 T) of corn starch
-15 ml (1 T) of body lotion/cream
-5 ml (1 t) of water
-food coloring (optional)
-bowl for mixing
-spoon for stirring
- Put all the ingredients, except the food coloring, in your bowl.
- Stir until a creamy mixture forms without any lumps.
- If needed, add a little more water to thin out the mixture.
- Add a drop of food coloring and stir (optional).
- Dip your finger into the mixture and help family members make designs on their cheeks.
Afterwards, pray as a family for the Shan. Ask God to reveal the truth of who Jesus is to Shan families who seek Him.